Sunday 13 September 2015

A Good Name

I truly believe our names shape our identities to a certain extent, determining our further process in developing 'our sense of self'. A name has the multifunctional quality and dedication to depict the cultural origin or ethnicity of a person. Often the way a name looks or sounds links back to a particular language spoken in a particular culture. As regards to my name, its historical context significantly relates to who I am in all fields of identities. My mother decided since she was very little to name me after her big idol Coco Chanel, who was overall and still is a very creative and influential designer today. Evaluating my own personal identification and comparing that to Coco Chanel’s, resulted in a remarkable similarity of traits. Her big passion for designing reflected my intense ‘ardor’ for creating, designing and constructing. Both our values in life on an academic point of view have crucially been inspired by the right side of our brains: creativity and sensuality. It’s not only the meaning behind the letters of my name that have shaped my road to self-discovery; it’s the visual attraction of the simplicity of letters that appeal to my minimalistic perspective in terms of art. I appreciate the beauty of simplicity in the sense of honoring my feelings and thoughts instead of looking at the world from a materialistic desire to fulfill our unlimited needs. My name forms a visually typographical balance of letters symbolizing a half and full moon (C = half moon, O = full moon). I looked up the emblematic meaning behind the moon, “She is reliant upon the sun's light to reflect her image to our earthly eyes.” The moon becomes a symbol of delicacy as her reflections and clarity enfold our attention. Relating this concept back to the subtle essence of my name, it reveals my fragile and sensitive character.

I’m looking forward to reading all your posts based on this topic! I had lots of fun writing mine and hopefully you had some reading it.


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed this activity Coco. Your response shows great engagement with our topic of language and identity. You make some very insightful connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really Interesting that your mom named you after someone who she wanted you to be similar to. I think that there truly is a correlation against the wishes of the parent and the way a child develops, and the name may play a part in this. Do you think that your personality would have differed at all if you had a different name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog post. Your use of sophisticated language in addition to well structured paragraphs come together to create a well articulated blog post. Your explanation of your name is also quite intriguing as you incorporate abstract concepts such as the shape of the letters, which is a idea many would overlook. What is the significance of your last name? Overall, your blog post was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The simplicity and the "typographical balance" of your name is undoubtedly unique and implicit. As you have written, it was fascinating to find out how your name came to be and what the individual letters mean. It is hard to disagree with your position, as the tight-knit relationship and meaning behind the four alphabets, both emblematic and reflective, are logical and highly creative. In my opinion as well, it is a very distinct and beautiful name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Coco. I liked how you went into a lot of detail about the meaning of our names and how you got yours.

    ReplyDelete